Report Environmental Issues

How to Report an Environmental Issue

Failure of erosion and sedimentation (E&S) protection measures.

Failure of erosion and sedimentation (E&S) protection measures.

Remember, you are the eyes and ears for local streams. If you see something that doesn’t seem right along a stream or waterway, it probably isn’t! Let someone know, take pictures, and make that call as soon as you observe something!

Take Pictures!

A photographic record is the often the best way to report an issue.  Many pollution events are transient or stormwater related–and don’t happen during business hours. The images, along with time and location, are what officials will need to determine if there has been a violation of environmental rules and regulations.

If you see something unusual in a stream, or along it, then consider safely taking a sample. A clean food container, mason jar, or even a zip lock bag can serve.

Contact Information:

Toxic Materials Spills, Dumping in Streams, Construction Equipment in Streams, Other Stream Incursions:

Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection Emergency Response

PA DEP Southeastern Regional Office
2 East Main Street, Norristown, PA 19401
Phone: 484-250-5900

Erosion and Sediment Leaving Construction Sites:

Erosion and Sedimentation (E & S) permitting for large construction sites is usually handled by the Chester County Conservation District:

Chester County Conservation District

688 Unionville Road, Suite 200
Kennett Square, PA 19348
Phone: 610-925-4920

For smaller construction sites, Erosion and Sedimentation permitting is handled by your township. Contact numbers will be found at your township’s website.

Fish Kills:

Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission, Bureau of Law Enforcement

Harrisburg Toll-Free Hotline: 1-855-347-4545 (1-855-FISH-KIL)

Southeast Regional Office Phone: 717-626-0228

For more information, contact: Green Valleys Watershed Association, phone: 610-469-4900, 9:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday through Friday